When is the FE exam offered and how do I schedule to take it?
These are the steps to sign up for the fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam. The FE exam is the first step in the journey to become a licensed engineer in the United States.
When is the FE exam offered?
The FE exam is offered Monday-Friday, year-round, at any Pearson Vue test center location.
How do I sign up take the FE exam?
1. Create an account on MyNCEES, which is the agency in charge of handling professional licensure for engineers in the US.
2. Go to your email to confirm your MyNCEES account
3. After logging into MyNCEES, go to the left hand panel and click on the 'exams' icon
4. Click on ‘register for an exam'
5. Fill out all the exam registration prerequisites and then click 'register for an exam' at the bottom of the list
6. Select ‘fundamentals of engineering’ tab and then select the exam you want to take
7. Select the board (state) where you will physically be at whenever you take take the exam. Unlike the PE exam, the FE is recognized nationally independent of which state you took the exam in.
8. Click the 'continue' button on discounted exam prep material. You can buy your prep material later once you weigh out all your options. Note that the pdf version of the FE Reference Handbook is free. While a physical handbook is convenient to use, we advise that you get very familiar using and searching the digital PDF version because only a digital version of the reference handbook will be available to you on the actual exam.
9. Fill out your billing info to pay for the exam registration
10. Finish checkout and follow the instructions on the screen to schedule your exam at the Pearson Vue test center most convenient to you